Sunday, October 21, 2012

Peter

Oh sweet, Jesus,
I don't want to be like Peter who boasted his love for You,
I want to be like John,
remember that last supper you had with him?
Yeah,
I want to be the one to lean on Your chest,
close, a place so intimate, yet so innocent,
That's where I want to be the most.
Receiving, knowing Your love for me.
Feeling the vibration in Your speech every time you speak,
hearing those bitter - sweet - words of Yours leaving your mouth,
"Before the rooster crows today you will disown me three times."
But as Peter stood boldly like the rock his name meant,
"Out of these twelve, I will never leave or forsake you."

But that night,
as Peter watched from a distance.
As people were believing Peter was Him,
more than believing in Jesus,
was the Son of God.
And as the rooster crowed it's last crow Jesus looked up,
and with the heavy burden of betrayal fell on Peter's shoulders.

How bad did it hurt Jesus?
They say you've been pierced three times,
but what about the sword of betrayal that stabbed into your back and out your heart,
the words of "I - never - knew - Him."
Lingering in the air, the silence haunting Peter as those harsh words left his crisped lips,
remembering the shattered promise he made the night before.

I know you're try to take this all back Peter,
I know how you think this is unreal.
"Did I really just say that? Is this how bad Jesus feels?.."
But even when you refuse to believe in me, and you don't know what to do,
I still believe in you, even when you don't believe in you.

I'm not left, and I'm not right,
keep your face straight,

where the road is less traveled,
because if you look the other way it may be a little to late,
so don't boast in your love for Me, turn away your face.
For Peter represents the law and John represents grace.

1 comment:

  1. Love the poems Angie. There is real talent here!

    ReplyDelete